Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Visiting old haunts

About two months into unemployment, you think less about the job that left you behind.
But you never stop thinking about it entirely, for the simple reason that if you think about working, your most recent memory of it comes to mind, and in this case that would be the job that punted you out on the street.
In this situation, it's not unlike a girlfriend you had a bad breakup with, and you're still single.
Psychiatrists have all kinds of theories about the psychology of loss, and how we should deal with it. One they recommend is not to fixate or indulge in whatever is gone, but rather accept it.
With a girlfriend or boyfriend or whatever, this is pretty easy. Stop driving by their house, delete the phone number from your contacts, slam the gift coffee mug they gave with their face on it into a billion or so pieces.
I've discovered, though, that the old job, well, not so easy. Reason being, if you're a writer, and you want to get a writing job, most places hiring will want to see what you've written before.
Since I worked for a Web site, that means going back to said site, and digging up my best work to send along.
This analogy is easy to understand. If this were an ex-girlfriend, for example, it would be like asking a new woman on a date, and she asks,"Got any samples of past sweet character?"
And so you had to go to your ex's place and ask for the ticket stub to the concert of the band she loved, the $120 sweater you bought on a whim for her, and the snot-infested tissue papers from when you were nursemaid while she had a killer cold.
Just going to the ex's place would fill you with a hundred feelings, and probably put a bitter taste in your mouth, if she was the dumper (as a job that laid you off could be described.)
Even worse, every time you tried for a new date, you had to go there again. Yes, I know I should just save the best stuff I'd written for that site somewhere, but in my delusionally optimistic way, I always think when I retrieve these stories from the site that this is the last time.
Now I realize, on a week in which many people are thinking of affairs of the heart, this might be a downer. So I'll leave off with this: A new girlfriend appears to be in sight.
What that means happens with the ex, I dunno.

No comments:

Post a Comment