Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Good news

When I started this blog in mid-December, I hoped it would last a week. Or less.
Instead, it went a little more than two months. Not a long stretch measured against, say, the Academy Awards show on Monday (I think Slumdog Millionaire just won for Best Wrap Party Buffet).
But today I say, with some sadness but more relief than anything, that this blog's original purpose is moot. I've found a job, full-time, with a desk and duties and coffee breaks and everything.
Writing this blog has been fun, and even a little cathartic, because the alternative would've involved crying and scotch. And I've never written it while I was in sweats, just because that felt like a forefeiture of my determination to act as if I was still an employed writer, who just wasn't getting any money for it.
It also led to some decent opportunities for exposure, and a TV appearance, and some comments that were encouraging even if they may have come from other unemployed people, or relatives.
But that still doesn't give me a reason for its continued existence, which was contained in a title that is technically still accurate (now and forever more, I will be laid off at one point in my life) but misleading.
So some time to ponder seems appropriate. Maybe it'll turn into a "working again" blog for a time, or ultimately I'll just talk about what coffee creamer I used this morning and mention that I'm tired of it raining, though living in Northern California at the moment, this is like a Baghdad housewife saying it's too quiet.
Still, I'm not pulling the plug here and now. This is a good forum, at least a few people read it, and the name is too good to abandon.
Then again, if I put it on eBay....

No comments:

Post a Comment